It's no secret: Aggies outdo themselves. This November, Alumni and Affiliate Relations is challenging you - Alumni, parents, and students - to go above and beyond for your community through volunteering or service.
Give back in the month of November and tell us what you did to be entered to win a UC Davis branded facemask or our grand prize: A $100 shopping spree at the UC Davis Bookstore!
Don't know where to start? Scroll through this post for volunteering ideas and links to volunteer opportunities. But remember, all forms of service make a difference, both big and small. So, when you see a need, take the lead! It's as simple as that.
The above form enters you to win our prizes; see official rules below. It will ask for your contact information, UC Davis affiliation, details about how you volunteered, and if this service connects back to your experience at UC Davis in any way. If you have pictures of yourself volunteering, we would love to see them--send them to our office at Alumni@ucdavis.edu.
Ways to give back:
Volunteer from home
- Tutor/mentor students virtually - Provide your skill set to students as they move to online learning, guide students through the college application process, or become a literacy mentor. This link will take you to list of virtual educational volunteering opportunities in the state of California, however the volunteers are needed everywhere!
- Facemask Making- Make simple face coverings for donation from home with common materials. Do a quick google search to find organizations looking for facemasks in your community. Many senior care facilities, food banks, and community organizations are still looking for donations.
- Letter writing - Many organizations are looking for volunteers to write letters or make cards for their community members (hospice patients, U.S. troops, seniors, kids). Do a google search to find the group you want to connect with.
- Help fight social isolation: reach out to those who live alone - text, video call, email, and leave notes. This link will take you to a downloadable neighbor-to-neighbor door note template!
Volunteer safely in your community
- Give blood -Blood donation is essential amid the COVID-19 outbreak. The need for blood is constant, make an appointment today. This link will help you find a blood drive in the United States.
- Volunteer at your local foodbank - Food banks are at the frontlines keeping vulnerable community members connected to food and they need your help. Food banks are in great need of volunteers, food donations, and funds. This link will help you find a food bank in the state of California, but volunteers are needed everywhere!
- Community Election/Poll Worker - Elections officials depend on reliable, dedicated teams of poll workers to make every Election Day run smoothly. This link will take you to the form to sign up in the state of California, but volunteers are needed across the entire country!
- Disaster relief - Wildfire and evacuation orders are affecting thousands of people across the state of California. Scroll through this link to contribute to a relief effort near you!
- Deliver meals - Your local Meals on Wheels needs you! Meals on Wheels is a nationwide network of community-based, non-profit programs dedicated to providing seniors a nutritious meal, a friendly visit and a quick safety check. This link will take you to a listing to find your local Meals on Wheels.
- Trash clean-up - Choose any location in need. Just grab gloves, your mask, and a trash bag!
Regional Volunteer Resources
- UC Davis Community Service Resource Center
- UC Davis Health Volunteer Information
- UC Davis Giving Website
- HandsOn Sacramento Virtual Volunteer Guide
- HandsOn Bay Area Website
- United Way Bay Area volunteer listing
- L.A. Works Virtual Volunteering Guide
- HandsOn San Diego
- United Way National Website
2020 ALUMNI AND AFFILIATE RELATIONS VOLUNTEER SWEEPSTAKES – OFFICIAL RULES –NOVEMBER 2020
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT IS NECESSARY TO ENTER.
INTERNET ACCESS IS REQUIRED TO ENTER.
- Entry Period: Sunday, November 1 at 12:00am (PST) and ends Monday, November 30 at 11:59pm (PST).
- Winner Announcement: On December 4 on the Alumni and Affiliate Relations Website.
HOW TO ENTER: To enter, entrant must fill out the following form detailing a volunteer service activity they participated in during the month of November. Form can be accessed at http://bit.ly/volunteerUCD20.
WINNER SELECTION: One (1) grand prize winner will be selected randomly from the selection of eligible entries. Winner will win grand prize as described below and will be selected and notified on or about December 4, 2020. One hundred (100) additional winners will be randomly selected to receive a UC Davis branded facemask. Winners will win facemasks as described below and will be selected and notified on or about December 4, 2020. Winners will be notified through email and will have seven days to respond to the notification. In the event that a winner doesn’t respond within seven days, the sweepstakes administrator will randomly choose another winner.
- Grand Prize Winner: $100 UC Davis Bookstore electronic gift card for a UC Davis shopping spree
- Approximate retail value is $100
- 100 additional facemask winners: Will receive a UC Davis branded facemask
- Approximate retail value is $15
ELIGIBILITY: This sweepstakes is open to all Davis students, alumni, graduate students, and parents. Employees of Alumni and Affiliate Relations and any and all other companies associated with the sweepstakes (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”), and each of their immediate family members and/or people living in the same household, are not eligible to participate. Eligibility rules are subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
All entries submitted become the property of UC Davis, and by participating you agree that UC Davis may use your submitted photo/video and post content for marketing and advertising purposes.
Odds of winning depending on number of entrants, inquiries about number of entrants and and odds may be directed to Erin Mross. This information will remain available [one year] after the sweepstakes closes.
UC Davis may cancel this sweepstakes in the event of technical problems or electronic attacks affecting the administration of the offer. Any sweepstakes entrant found to intentionally interfere with the operation of the offer will be disqualified. UC Davis retains the right to hide or delete entries on the UC Davis Facebook page, if found in violation of UC Davis policies, or for any other reason at UC Davis’ sole discretion. UC Davis is not responsible for lost, damaged, delayed or misdirected prizes. UC Davis is not responsible for lost or misdirected sweepstakes entries. Prize(s) may not be redeemed for cash.
Through your participation in this sweepstakes you are providing your information to UC Davis and not to Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. You acknowledge that this sweepstakes is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. By your participation in this sweepstakes, you agree to release UC Davis, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter from any liability related to the sweepstakes or your participation the sweepstakes.
Information provided will not be retained, sold, or used in any way other than specifically set for in these rules.